Thursday, November 17, 2011

Venting Aloud: Mom Quirk #5,649

I'm prone to stream-of-consciousness venting and to-do lists.  I think this is a pretty common quirky behavior, as quirky behaviors go, at least in my age group.  I've recently discovered, though, that my out-loud ramblings on all-things-undone or life's daily frustrations just drives my daughter up the wallpaper.  Like fingernails on a chalkboard. Don't get me wrong, annoying my children is one of my specialties, but I had no idea this was such a major issue for her. I suspect it's part of her OCD.  


The "air to-do list" (similar to air guitar?) goes something like this: "Oh, lord, I've got to call the furnace guy today," or "Bills, bills, bills..puhleeeze let me remember to put stamps on those buggers and stop at the post office tomorrow morning before work."  This is, of course, said to no one in particular.  I guess I just think that by saying it out loud it might actually get accomplished.  Last year, however, I discovered that by vocalizing my things-to-do, DD is driven to the boil-over frustration point, because, it turns out, she's always believed that she is then responsible for making whatever it is happen--abracadabra!-- even if it's entirely out of her control.  


Once I realized what was happening, I explained it all to my husband who admits that he too gets frustrated by my air list. He's always thought I expected him to solve my problems or tackle my tasks when I'm listing aloud! Good grief!!  No wonder he's rolling his eyes on a regular basis.  Thirty years of miscommunication! So now I feel a little stifled.  Guess I'll resort to mumbling or wearing one of those listpads and a pencil strung around my neck (and please don't suggest I get an iPod--like my daughter, I'm technically Amish).


Who knew?  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Well, we do get married to more conveniently annoy each other. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Air lists... I am SO guilty of that too! Wonder if my family is annoyed too?!? Better check on that!

    BTW, I watched an Amish documentary the other day and one of the teenagers had a blackberry!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome! Fire away:

Web Statistics