Wednesday, January 9, 2013

T in T: The Facebook Version

Thank you, readers! Last week my blog climbed past 3,000 page views, which is a nice thing. Why? I don't really know. Clueless blogger here. Something about stat reporting or reaching a certain audience level. Beats me. I know it's probably a small pittance compared to the thousands of hits many of my blogger bretheran get every day. That's okay. The reason I started Two in Transition was to share our experiences as a family so that others could learn from the roads we've traveled--both the ones nicely paved and those with more potholes than road. 

Some of the things I share, though, are a collection of resources, other blogs and transition-related articles that pop up in my inbox throughout the week. You don't always see those here. In fact, rarely. They show up on Side B of Two in Transition--the Two in Transition facebook site. "What?!?" you shout, overdramatically, "a Facebook site! No one told me there was a T in T Facebook site!!"  

Okay, yeah, maybe not in so many words. It's because I'm still sort of a newbie at connecting all the dots between the blog and FB and Twitter and Stubbedmytoe and oh, I don't know. Like I said, not very good at the social self-promotion thing. But, yes, there is a Facebook T in T. You can get to it by clicking that "Like us on Facebook" button over there on the righthand side of this page or by going to Facebook and putting TwoinTransition in the search window. It'll come up with twointransition.blogspot.com--that's us!

So from there you know the drill: When the Two in Transition page pops up, you need to "Like" the page. If you don't do that, you'll see what's there, but in the future you won't get to see things like:


  • the CNN video clip of the Germany company hiring worker's with Asperger's
  • Autism After 16's article on transition planning
  • the article about the mother who gave her son an iPhone with an 18-point contract
  • Laura Shumaker's story about a young man with Asperger's who's doing voiceover work
  • the Autism Speaks' article, "Mounting Evidence of Critical Need for Adult Transition Support"
Sure, I could give you links to all those things right here, I guess. But if you go the FB site and Like the page, you become a T in T fan and as such, are entitled to receive notice of new blogposts whenever I get around to posting them! Woo hoo! And that's another thing: I hereby promise that I won't whitewash or graffitti bomb your wall with T in T minute-by-minute postings. I'm pretty selective about the resources I share and they all center around transition issues or teens on the spectrum in some shape or form. 

"Yikes!" you say. "Why is that ugly gray photo up there on the T in T banner?" There was a method to my madness there. But, yes, I admit it's none too pretty. This pic was taken from our front porch on December 26. The previous,  much more colorful shot, was also taken from our front porch, same view, in autumn. The next shot will also be taken--you guessed it!--from our front porch, some time in May. Transition--fall, winter, spring, summer. Get it?? Okay, yes, the picture is still gray and fugly. I'll see what I can do. 

Next issue: Talk amongst yourselves! You are urged, encouraged, hereby empowered, and will not be judged (at least not by me...publicly :-) ) for commenting on posts or on resources on the the T in T Facebook page. Transition is probably the least talked about and, I would venture to say, least researched issue in the disability community. And the one that's probably most in need of attention. And, lord knows, those of us going through transition or preparing for it need to talk about it! We need to understand benefits, guardianship, special needs trusts, postsecondary ed options, housing, loneliness, self-advocacy, depression, voting rights, supported employment and independence. So we have to talk it up. To our bloggers, our educators, our physicians, and, most of all, to our legislators. 

You can start with me. I can take it. Tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome! Fire away:

Web Statistics